God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Friday, August 27, 2010

Gardenburger Bliss

When we were living in the Quad Cities one of my very favorite places to eat was Arthur's Garden Deli in Rock Island. They have very good deli sandwiches, Quiche, and baked potatoes (seriously, tell me how you can screw up a baked potato, though!), but my very favorite was the Gardenburger. Oh the Gardenburger. It was a warm patty of rolled oats and rice with many unidentifiable vegetables smothered in provolone cheese with finely shredded iceberg lettuce, onion, tomato, Hellman's Mayo, and, of course, their signature seasonings on a fresh wheat bun. I am not a vegetarian, but do happen to really like vegetables. Add in the fact that lunch meats only work for me in small portions due to excessive sodium content and the Gardenburger is an awesome, yummy low sodium AND low fat--(bonus!) alternative. Don't be mistaken, though, it is nothing like a boca burger or other meatless "burgers."

The problem with this love affair was my moving to Michigan. I mentioned to Craig just yesterday that I was considering calling Arthur's to see if this was something that they made themselves or if it was a product that could be purchased in bulk, but was not supported in my efforts by my veggie hating hubby. Actually, he laughed at me and said "whatever." It no longer seemed like a good idea.

All things changed tonight when we went to National Coney for dinner. Craig had a hankering for a coney dog and as I perused the menu I discovered that they offered a Gardenburger. I tried not to get my hopes up but when my food arrived I nearly kissed the waitress. It was the same patty, but was clearly prepared differently. Grilled, no cheese, and sesame seed bun. Coney also served it with a side of horseradish-like junk that was certain to spoil the treat and a big hunk of lettuce and not-so-fresh tomatoes. It was so D-Lish. Yes that is a capital D. So exciting. Not quite as good as Arthur's, but I suspect that if I got a Gardenburger at Coney to go, took it home, and doctored it a little I could get pretty close. Can't wait to try.

Now, if only I could find a suitable substitute for AE Skim Chocolate Milk, Kitchen Cooked Cheese Kurls, Caffeine Free Diet Mountain Dew, Los Agaves, Pizza and Subs, Osaka, and Grinders this place might just be OK.

No comments: