God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Class Reunion

This weekend was the infamous 15 year class reunion. It was so nice to see some of my old classmates. Saturday afternoon we toured our old high school. It was a strange feeling to wander down the halls of a place that was once so familiar. Everything was still pretty much the same, but seemed smaller than I remember. The building where our class attended elementary school has since been torn down and a nice new elementary built ajoining the high school. I found myself really wishing that I could wander through that old elementary building one more time.
On Saturday evening we had a meal catered by the grocery store in New Sharon--it was delicious--and then everyone headed to the bar. I'm not one to hang out much in bars, but it was nice to sit and visit a bit without all of the smoke! Thank you, Iowa law maker people, for passing that ban! Craig and I hung out until about 10:00 and then drove around for a while enjoying the fresh country air and gazed at a few stars.
On Sunday afternoon we grilled out and had potluck. Initial disappointment in a small turnout yielded rather quickly to a refreshing feeling of gratitude as we really had time to reconnect. Matt, Alicia, Travis, Susan, and I (along with spouses) spent 3 hours sitting around sharing memories...recalling so many of those fun times spent together and laughing hysterically as we revisited how awkward those teenage years could be. It was just what I needed. Refreshment for the soul that made all of the unanswered phone calls, unreturned RSVP's, and frustration in planning this event worth the work.
Is it 2019 yet? I want to see my friends again!!

No comments: