God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas, cows, and birthdays.

I just realized that I have not posted on my blog for nearly a month. This has been a crazy time. Let's just say the ususal...it's not easy being me! :) We have traveled across Iowa and Illinois more than once trying to make it to various Christmas celebrations. This weekend we're heading to my Mom's to have our family Christmas. This happened to be the only time between December and January that we could get our schedules coordinated.

Saturday will be a bittersweet day. My mom has decided to sell the cows and on Saturday the buyer is coming to pick them up. Part of me is happy knowing that the herd will stay together and that the buyers have a reputation of taking great care of their livestock, but sad at the same time. Those cows meant so much to my dad and parting with anything important to him is a reminder of the reality of just how much life has changed.

On the up side, there are also 7 heifers that Dad was particularly fond of. Mom is going to keep them, expecting them to calf in April. I am really glad that she made that decision. I can't imagine going to the farm and not seeing any black cows littering the pasture. Maybe it is selfishness, but that's something I just don't feel ready to let go of yet.

Sunday is also my Dad's birthday. He would have been 62. Oh how I miss that man and what wouldn't I give for just a little more time!

1 comment:

Lonita said...

I'm sure it will be fun to see the new calves this spring (not just because it will mean that it's probably not -10 anymore...). I've been thinking about you and wondering how all your Christmas activities went - hope the trip to Chicago/American Girl place was fun! We'll have to catch up soon.