God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Monday, July 5, 2010

Traveling plants

I miss my plants. Last night Craig and I loaded up my mom's van with all of the things that the movers could not move and things that we did not want them to move. We decided to start with the plants. I purposely did not water them this weekend so that they would not leak during travel. After we got three of them to our staging area in the garage Craig asked "Is that it?"
*Sigh*
Some days I wonder if we live in the same house (well, actually we kind of don't right now, but you know what I mean...). I gave him a brief tutorial of the watering techniques that each of them seem to prefer as well as a slight plead to please please PLEASE not let them die before returning inside and gathering the remaining 10 or so plants that also needed to be packed.
The house seemed so lifeless this morning when I got up and went downstairs. I am beginning to realize that I am completely more attatached to my plants than may be healthy. I love them. All of them. They all have sentimental value. Take Mary Jane Schefflera, for example. She was a gift when my dad died. Upon bringing her home she promptly dropped all but 8 of her leaves and turned brown. I held on to her for a while and was just about ready to part with her when Christopher was born. When I came home from the hospital I found that she had a new bloom starting. She's a keeper now.
They all have a story.
When Craig called to say that he had arrived in Macomb today I asked promptly about the condition of my plants and if they had been watered. "They're fine" and "no" was all I got. I just hope I won't be arriving in 2 weeks to find some brown stumps.

1 comment:

Lonita said...

I hope your plants survived the journey well, and I'm sure they eagerly await a reunion with their favorite caretaker. Hope things are going well for you during this time of craziness!