God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Saturday, April 6, 2013

Wave of Changes

Life is funny.  It seems like in our world , Craig and I find ourselves in times of near boredom with the day to day and month to month passing with very little change and then suddenly there is more than one huge change in our goings on in a very short time.  This is one of those weeks where we are realizing that many things about our world are shifting.  It is all good stuff and I look forward to each aspect, but am a little overwhelmed by the enormity of it all.

First there is Baby Riedel.  I couldn't be more excited about meeting this little one.  We are ready.  Lauren is ready.  Baby is ready according to the ultrasounds. Last week (s)he was 7 lbs 1 oz.  At this stage, baby is expected to gain 1/2 pound per week through the remainder of the pregnancy.  In two days from today or sooner I will be looking upon the tiny face of this child that has already stolen another part of my heart.  I don't feel comfortable putting a lot of details on here, but will say that my doctors have said they are shocked that I haven't delivered yet with my current dilation and effacement.  If things don't happen on their own this weekend, I have an appointment first thing Monday morning to get baby moving.  I have been so blessed with an uncomplicated pregnancy this time!  Can't wait to meet you, little one!

Second, there is Washington DC.  As you may remember, Craig was awarded a Army Acquisition Fellowship last March.  He has been very successful in completing phase one of the program here at the Detroit Arsenal, and was gearing up for phase two, which means a six month stent in Washington DC.  Then sequestration happened and the funding was not available.  Shortly thereafter Craig was approached by two different commands that offered to fund him out of their own budgets.  This week, travel orders came through and Craig is to report to either the Pentagon or the Taylor Building on May 6.  MAY 6!  MAY THE SIXTH!! That is less than a month away! Argh!

We have secured a 1450 square feet 3 bedroom executive suite that is a 10 minute walk to whichever building Craig may be working in near the Capitol Mall complex.  I'm liking the fact that we will have room service available and a doorman. I am not crazy about but accepting of the fact that I will be spending most of my days there with a newborn and a toddler alone while Craig is at work.  I am 2/2 with moving away from my support systems either during pregnancy or shortly after! Thanks, Craig! :)

With a twist of irony one of the silver linings in this move is actually sequestration!  Although it will cut Craig's pay--our sole income-- by about 20% off the top (closer to 35% take home) until a final resolution is made in September, it will also allow him to work only 8 hour days and be "home" every Friday.  I don't deny that the dent in income will hurt, but if life has taught me anything in the last few years, it is that spending time with those you love will ALWAYS trump the value of money.  Just  another example to prove what The Lord tells us in Romans 8:28 "For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God."

So, as we enter this next season of life do I feel overwhelmed?  Yes yes, and Yes!  Do I understand how much packing up everything that my growing family will need or six months shortly after giving birth is going to stink?  Yes, although I have probably grossly underestimated it all!  BUT, More than stress, I am feeling blessed.  God has given us some amazing opportunities, and when it comes down to it we have everything we need and then some...Maddie, Lauren, will have a new baby any day, a great marriage, and the chance to spend six months in our nation's capital.  I can't wait to take it all in!

1 comment:

Lonita said...

Wow! Definitely a lot of coming craziness in your lives! Excited to hear the baby news very soon, and glad things have gone so well. You'll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers the next couple days!