God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas 2008

Merry Christmas from the Riedel's! We hope that this Christmas season finds you healthy, content, and richly blessed. It's been a few years since I sent out a "Christmas Letter," so I figured we were due. So much has changed in our lives, probably too much to share, so I'll try to hit the highlights.
Buying a house. We bought our home in March of '06. It sits near the end of a quiet tree lined street in Davenport. It has turned out to be the perfect location for us...centrally located to work, church, shopping, groceries, nearby parks, many kids in the neighborhood for Madison to play with, and a bike trail coursing through the backyard. Since moving in our more major projects have been painting rooms, building a shed, trimming trees, revamping the fire pit, and changing the exterior color from red with gold trim (ugh) to taupe with white trim, and installing a new garage door. Craig and I spent six weeks (summer '08) on ladders and scaffolding scraping, sanding, and painting, but couldn't be happier with the results. At times we had to focus on opposite sides of the house because it just didn't seem a good idea to be 30 feet off the ground on scaffolding with someone who was sick of you...and vice versa, but we did well. I think that we only had one fight (which wasn't my fault, therefore, I won--in case you're curious).
Vacations. We've taken our share of vacations in the last few years. We've done several weekend trips with family and our good friends. Sadly, there are too many to list! In July '06 we went to Montana to a cousin's wedding. Madison and I drove out with my parents and we met Craig there. (he had to fly due to time constraints). It was an awesome time. We stopped at Mt. Rushmore, The Corn Palace--twice (still wondering why even once), and the Badlands on the way out. We spent an enjoyable day at Yellowstone, and even got to see a grizzley!! Another favorite place in Montana was Oussel Falls. We also have continued to make our annual pilgrimage to Colorado. We ususally rent a condo for a few days, and in summer of '08 we decided to camp in the 11 mile canyon again. We took my cousin's daughter, Cassidy, with us and had a wonderful time. The only part that was not so fun was at night in the tent. Madison was convinced that she was going to be eaten by a bear and the only way to avoid it was to stay awake, listen close, and ask "what was that?" after each sound of nature. We had a great time, but next time her sleeping bag will be next to Craig! :)
Madison. Our sweet 10 year old young lady. She has grown so much in the last year and I fear that I will be the shortest in the family soon. She continues to play league soccer in the spring and fall, and loves to play with her friends and American Girl Dolls. Madison has truly been a joy in our lives. She has such a gentle spirit and frequently fills our home with laughter.
Craig. In February of 2007 Craig left for a 6 turned 12 month deployment in Iraq. While there he set up electrical systems and provided logistical support for soldiers. He enjoyed his work there immensly, but is glad to be back on US soil. I'm sure that he would tell you that it's because I'm here and he missed me a lot. :) He still works for the Arsenal and was recently promoted to a team leader position. In addition to work, Craig enjoys volunteering with the junior high youth group at church, and will complete his stent as a deacon in December. Craig has also recently become involved with Primerica.
Melissa, Missy, or whatever you call me. I am still working at Trinity on the IV team. It is rewarding, challenging, and a little crazy sometimes. The thing that I like best about my job is that I have about 30 minutes of uninterrupted time with my patients where I can really just listen to what they have to say. I learn so much from them...it's amazing. I also enjoy reading, networking with friends, and baking.
Church. It is an exciting time in our church life. We have gone to Christ's Family Church since moving to the quad cities, and the construction of a family life center is now nearly complete. It houses new offices and a multi purpose room that can be used as a gym, gathering room, etc. It is wonderful to see what God is doing there. We have a wonderful church family, too, which makes living away from our "real" families a lot easier. Craig and I are also involved in a small group that has been very rewarding.
Family and friends. We have been so blessed to spend time with so many of you. The Nieuwsma's had their big reunion in '07. It was refreshing to spend a few days reconnecting and catching up. Sadly, my grandpa Goemaat passed away in February of '07 shortly after a car accident. We were fortunate to have had the chance to know most of our grandparents well even into our adult lives.
Future. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" Jeremiah 29:11. Thats all we really need...God knows the plan and we are excited to discover what is in store for us in 2009.
May the love of Christ fill you this Christmas season , and may peace, joy, and blessings await you in 2009.
With Love,
The Riedels

No comments: