God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Chat with a 4 year old about a dead bunny.

Tomorrow my mom, sister, 3 nieces, and Madison are coming to our house for a few days. We're going to have a garage sale and (hopefully) get rid of a lot of stuff. I called my sis tonight to touch base with her and make sure that she didn't have any last minute questions. As we were talking my niece, Anna, who just turned 4 could be heard in the background. "I want to talk to Missy. I want to talk to her RIGHT NOW." I told my sister that I better talk to her for a little bit. Here's how the conversation went.
"Hi, Anna. How are you tonight?" (In my sweetest talking to a little friend voice)

"Um, Missy, I am coming to your house tomorrow and I heard that we might play a game."

"Oh really? We should play a game, that would be lots of fun, but we're going to have a garage sale and might need someone to sell Lemonade. Do you know anyone who knows how to sell lemonade?"

"YES! I can do it! And maybe Adlynn (a cousin from the other side of her family) could help me! And what was your bunny's name...the one that is dead?"

"Um, the bunny that died was named Daisy. Dixie (the other rabbit) can't wait to see you, Anna." (Subtle attempt to focus on life, not death)

"I remember when Daisy died. Why did she die again?"

"Daisy got very sick and we had to take her to the bunny doctor, the doctor said that she was going to die and it made me sad. Dixie was sad too, but right now, she is just excited to see you" (a little dramatization...the only thing she isreally excited to see is food) "Are you excited to come to my house? (attempt to change subject).

"Where IS Daisy, anyway?"

(thinking...in a USPS box buried under our tree...) "Well, I suppose that she is hopping around in Bunny heaven somewhere"

"With Jesus?"

"Yep, probably.....so, Anna, what game do you want to play tomorrow?"

And CLICK. She was gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! how cute! hope you have a great w/e, friend!

Char