God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Saturday, May 15, 2010

My red face.

It has just been one embarrassing thing after another this weekend. I have come to realize that all of the stress we have been under has caused me to become a little forgetful.
Yesterday I was spending some time with my mom in Des Moines. My car had received a good old mud bath while picking her up on the farm, so after I dropped mom off I decided to visit the car wash. Usually I'd just pick the automatic option, but I really wanted to get all of the mud from around the wheel wells, so I went with the manual wash. First step: Bug and Tar remover--check. Second Step: High Pressure Soap in mud caked areas--Check. Third step: High Pressure soap along Passenger side--check. Step four: High pressure soap on Driver's side--OOPS! It was at that point that I realized that my rear windows were down and that my back seat was midway through the soap cycle. That is a sickening feeling. Similar to the time I went through the automatic car wash with my trunk open after grocery shopping. I should really be more careful at car washes.

Shortly after drying my back seat as well as possible with my dust cloth my phone rang. It was our realtor. "Um, I know it is short notice, but someone would like to see your house in about an hour...would that be OK?" I mentally started to walk through each room. Did I put everything away? I had spent the previous evening with my mom and Craig had been home alone, so I thought it best to check with him before giving the realtor the go-ahead. No answer on his cell, office or blackberry lines. Hmmm. I guess we'd have to wing it. I told our realtor the situation and he said he'd run over to the house and do a quick run through. Perfect!?!? He called back to tell me that he had put some papers from our relocation company on top of the microwave and had made our bed. How embarrassing. Who has their real estate agent make their bed and tidy up their house? Evidently me. To top it off when I got home I remembered that I had a load of undergarments hanging up to dry in the basement. I'm not expecting an offer from those people and am wondering if they refer to our home as the one with the underwear on display. Nice. Way to go, me!

Today we went to a friend's wedding. I've never been to a wedding at an Anglican church before. It was intriguing and I was really glad that we went, although I found myself very red faced while there. Most people know that I like to pull a prank every now and then, but not Craig. Today he got me back two fold for any time I've ever pulled a fast one on him. Here's how it went down. Everything about this wedding was a little bit different than the traditions that I am used to. The minister announced how they would serve communion, but his accent was so strong I couldn't make a bit of sense of it (plus my hearing is super bad right now because of my meniere's). I whispered to Craig that I had no clue what I was supposed to do. He told me what to do, but otherwise just to watch the person ahead of me. Lo and behold guess who was the first person in our group to be in line for communion. Yep, yours truly. There, standing in front of all the wedding guests waiting for a place to kneel was me. During this ceremony 12 people were on the altar for communion at a time. OK, I can do this. I found a place and kneeled then waited for Craig to take a place next to me. He didn't. Oh no...what did I do? I got up and went to take the place next to him, but another couple took the place I was heading to. Ok. I'll just stay here. Right here. Just like this. The bread was passed. Craig had told me to hold it in my hand until all were served but whoa...just like that the wine chalice was there and the girl next to me didn't have her bread anymore. In 17+ years of taking communion I have never returned to my seat with the bread still in my hand, but tonight I did. That may be illegal so shhh, don't tell. Craig was laughing at me. I tried to convince myself that maybe nobody else noticed. They did. Another friend thanked me for the entertainment. It was quite embarrassing.

That's it. I'm going to bed so that tomorrow I can be on top of my game. No more occasions for a red face here...I hope!

No comments: