God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Saturday, December 18, 2010

Very Random Thoughts


  • Hospital fish is not too bad. Although as a nurse I took a solemn vow that I would never eat it, things changed when I was starved for 27 hours.
  • Broke my promise to not ever use "real" silverware in the hospital made after I more than once saw some disgusting non-food related uses. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Disposable is still preferred, but no longer a requirement.
  • I actually considered smelling Craig's breath when half of my peanut butter cookie turned up missing, but refrained when I remembered that all I have to do is dial a number and another can be delivered. Gotta love room service.
  • Showers are taken for granted entirely too often.
  • Reading online editions of Detroit area newspapers are ridiculous, as evidenced by the following headlines: "Woman accused of stealing Christmas toys for Children from K-Mart" and "36 year old mad accused of strangling mother's cat; attacking officers in standoff."
  • There is nothing like meds with nasty side effects, having to use alternative toileting methods, and not being allowed to eat to set priorities straight.
  • Chocolate chip cookies are really really good, but have nothing on the Peanut Butter ones. Of course I am only indulging in them because my baby likes them. :)
  • Whipped Cream makes me want to gag and Craig has consumed entirely too much of it.
  • Disposable shavers should be illegal. Ouch!
  • Some nurses are better at their jobs than others. I've been very fortunate most of the time.
  • When asking a generally non-shopping oriented husband to pick up a few things, be very specific and don't expect things to be as described to you.
  • Attention nurses/ultrasound people: Please use caution as not to allow ultrasound gel to get in my belly button. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. Alot.
  • Baby Riedel may have some attention span issues. Or maybe not like ultrasounds. Or maybe both.
  • If you wake someone at 0600 from zombie land and ask them if they have felt fetal movement, the honest answer will probably be no. Um, I don't generally feel the baby in my sleep, which you have now interrupted. Do you know that I am not a morning person??? 6 am doesn't work for me so please try back after 10.
  • If you wake me earlier than necessary, I will find a way to get you back. When I got up at 0555 to use the bathroom, I nearly caused the resident who was sneaking in my room to wake me up wet her pants. Ha ha!
  • If you lose one's toiletries bag containing my deodorant, you can expect one to get progressively smellier as the day/week goes on. Don't blame me, you told me to leave all of my stuff in the other room and you would bring it. Now it is most likely in Ohio. (no kidding, that is what we were told!)
  • I have quite a few people in my life that are simply wonderful.
  • Craig makes me laugh. After an ultrasound I was thinking about how blessed we are when I asked him what he was thinking. His response? "They used all of the wrong combinations of metal in that wheelchair...it is going to corrode in no time. Should have at least coated it in Cadmium instead of Zinc." I love him. And then made him wash his hands after touching the actual wheel part. I know what hospital wheelchairs drive through sometimes.
  • A pitcher of ice water accidentally spilled in one's bed travels really fast.
  • I understand that hot showers are out right now, but I was hoping for something beyond frigid.
  • Hospital pillows could easily be confused with a paper towel in a pillowcase. Thin, small, and crunchy sounding.
  • Pretty sure that the nurse is not sneaking in and putting the toilet seat up, as Craig claims.
  • I'm going to miss the plastic grocery bag that has been dancing in the wind on the roof outside my window. It has sadly been entertaining.
  • Curling and styling my hair does wonders for my spirits.
  • There's no place like home, but we CAN live in a 10x10 room if necessary.
  • Cable is frustrating when there is no TV guide.
  • Somehow, I've lost 2 pounds this week and Craig has gained 3.
  • Every morning I thank God that baby stayed in its current "playpen" for another night, and every night I thank God that we've carried another day. Today I'm thanking Him for a whole extra week...

3 comments:

Lonita said...

Love the wheelchair comment - you clearly married an engineer. How, exactly, though, do one things travel to Ohio from a Michigan hospital room? Did they go on a roadtrip?

~M. Riedel said...

Evidently, Ohio is where they process their dirty linens and my bag somehow got in with them. The crazy part is just as I was climbing into the wheelchair for discharge Lost and Found called and we got it back. Score!

Farm Grandma said...

Do you hear your ears ringing every Wed AM - that is when niece Brooke & I chat about you along with her clarinet lesson, and wonder if you are following all the rules and being good!! She told me that her Grandma "skypes" with you to keep an eye on you!
Blessings to you, Craig & baby - have a wonderful Christmas safely together!