God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Same day, different waiting room.

As I update now, we are sitting in the surgical waiting room. Kim is in surgery to extract the clot and remove some of the pressure on the artery. Without this, the only option would be to amputate her lower leg. Bob and Evelyn are here, as well as their pastor and a couple of Kim's friends. Craig is en route back from Des Moines with Madison, and Rob and Jeni are flying in tomorrow afternoon--it was the earliest flight that they could get.
Bob and Evelyn are exhausted, but holding strong. Evelyn "slept" in the waiting room at the hospital last night while Bob, Craig, and I went back to their house to try to get a good nights rest.
They were able to remove about 2 liters of extra fluid from Kim today, so she doesn't have quite the facial swelling that she had last night. She still has not regained any consciousness.
As of now, things are looking pretty bleak. The biggest concern is still that we know that her brain was without oxygen for some time, and that that kind of brain damage is permanant. We don't know the extent of that injury. The docs say that in the next couple of days as she stabalizes more they'll pursue more testing.
I think that's all for now. I'll keep updating new developments. Sorry if some of this is repetative. I've sat down to write so many times that I can't remember what made it to print. Oh the brain mush!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I realize now why we haven't chatted in a couple days! My message to you today will sound so lame now! Sorry. If you need anything, let me know!

Lonita said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! Let me know if there's anything I can do! If you need a meal or place to stay while passing thru Des Moines, just let us know!