God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Wonderful Husband

Last weekend Craig and I went to Michigan. We spent 2 whole days together--just him and I. It was wonderful. We took a walk out on the pier on to Lake St. Claire. We shared a Peanut Butter Cup dessert at Uno's. We laughed. We reminisced about the last 11 years together and shared some reveries about where we hoped our future would take us. We dreamed. We cried--well, one of us did anyway! We connected. We loved. We watched poker until midnight. We slept in and we observed a culture much different from our own.

Sometimes it is good to get out of the ordinary. To get away from the life that is overcommitted, over worked, and over scheduled. To bask in simplicity. To reconnect with those we love. The difficult part of this weekend was the trip home. I dropped Craig off at the airport in Kalamazoo...he had to fly to the east coast for work. Although it was nice to have some quiet time in the car to think, pray, and listen to a few tunes I was sad. I missed my husband. Our lovely weekend had come to a screeching halt back into reality. There was work to be done, a house to clean, doctor's appointments to make, a lawn to mow, a family cable package to order :), oil changes that needed to be done, and on and on. But, as I spent Monday on my hands and knees scrubbing floors and woodwork and washing windows I found myself more blessed than ususal. I have a comfortable home, a great relationship with my husband, a beautiful stepdaughter, great friends, and a lot of love in my life. There's so much that I am thankful for....all blessings from God.

As I sit and write this the birds are playfully chirping outside my patio door. My house is a lot cleaner than it was yesterday (but still has a way to go), and my heart is a little more content with life. Ahhh God is good....and so are weekends away.

No comments: