God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Monday, May 18, 2009

Moments that I will never forget

I will never forget the day that Craig returned home for good from Iraq. I'll always remember him walking down the tarmac in uniform looking for me and me trying to push my way to the front of the crowd to get to him. Someone may have ended up with bruises, even. I remember falling into a long embrace and then thinking "Oh my. There were a few people in uniform getting off that plane. Did I get the right one?" I did.

I will never forget the day that Craig came home TDY from Iraq and we met at the airport in Denver. We went to Outback to eat and I just kept staring at him and could not stop smiling--so happy to be together again. I even successfully navigated around an airport to find him. That is not one of my strengths. He was wearing the ugliest jeans that I have ever seen. I coined them his neon jeans and they "disappeared" rather quickly. He needs me and would be a mess without me.

I'll never forget the day I left for college. It was sad. I knew that life had changed forever and I cried all the way to my sister's, where I lived for the first half of my first semester. It turned out to be a great experience, but I have never been good at saying good bye. Even for a short time.

I will never forget the time that I was mad at my dad and shocked him with a hog buzzer. I was in high school and my friend Jen was there, too. As soon as he reacted to the jolt I knew that it had not been a good idea. That was the one and only time that I really felt that it may be in my best interest to run away and never return. Don't worry, he got me back. Bzzz : thus, "natural" curls.

I'll never forget the day that Craig and I got married. It was wonderful start to finish. Almost 9 years ago. Sheesh!

I'll never forget the night that each of my grandpas died. (not the same night, thank goodness). As said before, I am not good with goodbyes. They were both such loving, family oriented, Godly men. I can't wait to see them again someday!!

I'll never forget the first time that we went in the giant wave pool at WaterWorld in Denver. It was Craig, Madison and I facing a 14 foot wave crested with a wall of people. Madison literally crawled up Craig and held on for dear life while screaming "DADDDDDDYYYY." As soon as it was finished she begged to do it again. I was glad because I thought it was fun.

I'll never forget the day we bought our house. We cleaned and moved in the same day. I love that day.

I'll never forget my 16th birthday and the hokey pokey incident. I'm not going to explain this one in too much detail but, trust me, I will never forget.

I will never forget the day that Craig and I bought our first car. 1997 Accord. Loved that car. Hondas rock. We're now 3 Hondas later and bought our first Toyota. Never had a mechanical problem. Knock on wood.

I'll never forget the day that Kimmi died. I'll forever regret that I was in the bathroom when they wheeled her out of the ambulance and missed the big smile that she reportedly had when she realized that she was home.

I'll never forget the day that Maddie learned to ride her bike. Craig chased her around the parking lot at a local elementary school making sure she didn't fall over. She had no idea how to stop but had "daddy breaks" so all was well.

I'll never forget the time that my cow drug me around the ring at the Iowa State Fair. I've tried to forget, but can't.

I'll never forget the morning after Madison spent the night with us for the first time. "Daddy? Is it up-time yet?" So sweet. I love that girl.

I'll never forget how much work it was to paint the outside of our house and I'll never do it again.

I'll never forget the moment that I learned that my mom had accidently developed our honeymoon pictures and that Craig had unknowingly taken a picture into a mirror in all of his manly glory. Whoops. (The picture was not at all indecent...except for the reflection!)

No comments: