God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Wednesday, October 6, 2010

First Impressions

So yesterday I ventured out to the mailbox. There is nothing unusual about that. As I gathered coupons--YEAH!!--and no bills --bigger yeah--from the cast iron receptacle I noticed that our neighbor was out working in his driveway. I haven't actually met the neighbors yet, so I thought it would be a nice gesture to introduce myself.
It was at this point that I realized exactly what I must look like. I had showered...which quite honestly was a step up from the day before...but a quick glance at my outfit revealed a nightmarish scene. A very baggy sweatshirt, even baggier purple pants which, at the time I bought them more than 10 years ago, vowed would never ever under any circumstances exit the door of our house, and flip flops. I hadn't applied a drop of makeup and was crowned with a very fuzzy in-my-face hairstyle.
"Hi, I don't think that I ever introduced myself, I'm Melissa...."
He was very nice and we talked for a few minutes, but I'm sure he was thinking "What kind of freak...?"
When I got back to the house a quick glance in the mirror confirmed that, yep, it really was that bad. Oh well, first impressions are overrated anyway.
Maybe I should start looking for a job... ;)

3 comments:

Lonita said...

And why is there no photo with this post? I think we need to be able to judge exactly how crazy your neighbor might have thought you were :-). Next time, I would suggest bringing a stuffed goose along with you (I know where you can get one) and introducing him to your goose as well.

~M. Riedel said...

I could actually take a picture of myself today and it would look eerily similar...but I won't.

I think it is best if we keep our geese separate. Your name is spelled correctly on THE goose, so I feel strongly that you are its rightful owner...

Molly Truesdell said...

You're always beautiful. Love you!