God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Monday, October 4, 2010

One of these days....

One of these days something that I write will actually make it to posting status. Since our move, I have come down with a severe case of attention deficit. I cannot sit down, write an entry, and focus on it long enough to finish my thoughts. Sad, really.

I am also working on some other writing projects and journaling, so that has given me my writing fix for a bit. However, I can't let my blog go. I think about it a lot of the time, but there's only so many times that I can write "Today I did the very same thing that I did yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that..." before I bore even myself.

Here are the highlights of what's what since our move.

I have been reading a ton. After dad died, I really couldn't get into a storyline on a book, but have now completed 8 books in the last 2 weeks. Maybe it is nerdy, but I enjoy it.

Work. I am not working right now. Not for Bard, not for a hospital, nothing. There are several factors and I will not go there now, but I have definitely used some of the down time to reflect on everything we've been dealt in the last year and find myself in all of it. I wouldn't want it any other way. More about work later.... My big thing now is saving money since I'm not making money. To date I have saved us from having to pay over $2,000 in insurance errors related to our medical treatments from before we moved. GO ME!! I've also become obsessed with checking investments to see if there were any gains on a particular day. It is crazy (and I believe unhealthy) how much value I was placing on my paychecks...and now that I don't have them, I am more at ease with everything. Strange how that works.

Our "Christmas Letter" will come early this year. It is a work in progress.

We are settled. I think. Upstairs is finished for sure. I haven't even been up there for about a month now. That is crazy...I'm sure that there is a plenty thick layer of dust. Note to self: take a broom next time you brave the steps.

The downstairs is not really finished but not really a work in progress anymore either. My wonderful husband built several storage shelves to hold all of our junk. Some day I need to go through those totes and either get rid of stuff or pack it better. It looks like I'm getting ready for a garage sale.

I like to think that the main level is done, but that is just silly. We still need to get a bedroom set, but are debating between a king or queen size bed. There is plenty of space for a king, but we just bought a new queen mattress not too long ago and love it, so that throws a monkey wrench in things. Basically, we just haven't found a bedroom set that we love yet, so that makes a big difference, too. We did buy a sofa, loveseat, 3 end tables, a coffee table, wall mount t.v. and another leather recliner so the family room has taken shape. Everything fit pretty cozy, and the only thing that we need yet in there is a small entertainment cabinet and an area rug.

Finally, there is the dining room. We have been in cahoots about this room since we moved in. The problem is, it is a perfect dining room, but the kitchen also has an area that is large enough to accomodate a dining room set. Currently we have 2 oversized chairs in the space in the kitchen, but are considering moving them to the formal dining and having it be a music room with sitting area. The downside is there is a breakfast nook in one area of the kitchen and we'll probably put barstools at the counter...so how many eating areas does one need in a given space. So confusing and overwhelming, so we don't do anything.

When we bought the house there were weeds in the yard taller than me. Craig has now (with a significant amount of help from TrueGreen) got the yard under control. The grass had been over watered and was dead and the landscaping was all overgrown, but things are really taking shape now. (We bought the house from an investor who did the bare minimum to maintain the property from the time we put our offer in to the time we closed.)

We've really enjoyed our new neighborhood and community. It is slowly starting to feel like home. We have visited at least 5 different churches, but have still not found the right fit. There is one that we really like, but it is a little jaunt to get there, so we are continuing to look for something a little closer to home. We trust that God will reveal it to us when we find the right one.

I think that is it and that is enough. I'll post the "Christmas Letter" soon after I get it sent to family first.

Thanks for checking in!

No comments: