God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Thursday, January 1, 2009


I've thought long and hard about this years New Years resolution. The possibilities are endless, but the successes of years gone by have been few. I've taken many a midnight oath on many an outgoing year to lose weight, exercise daily, limit sweet intake (let's get real. That'd never happen), etc., but I just couldn't seem to settle on the perfect self-improvement goal. I even thought for a short time about letting Craig choose for me...isn't that what any good wife would do??? Luckily I safely regained a rational thought process before damage control needed to be implemented.
Here are some of the finalists (note: they're not numbered, therefore, in no particular order.)
~~Eat more vegetables. I like veggies alot. I just don't fix them often because they take too much effort. You have to take them out of the freezer, put them in the microwave, AND turn it on. Oh. Woe is me. My recent spinich kick is phasing out, too!
~~Watch Less TV. I like TV. Very seldom do I just sit and watch a show from start to finish, but I love having it on. However, it does make me feel lazy. If I were overly zealous, I would limit my computer time, but that is not a realistic option.
~~Quit drinking carbonated beverages. Last year I quit drinking caffeine. I've had a cumulative total of approx 8 ounces of energy in my drinks in the last year, but maybe I should take it one step further and quit the carbonation all together. It really isn't good for me, and neither is aspertame. Plus, a 12 pk of Caffeine free Diet Dew is >$4.00 now. Rediculous. Water is free.
~~Be content. Lately, I have just found myself wanting things I don't have or even need. I've hoped for stuff that I thought would make me happy, only to lead to disappointment...except for my new Bath and Body Works lotion...that really does make me happy (thanks, Craig...did you know you bought that for me??) If I would just wake up each day a little earlier and focus on the blessings and not the yearnings, it would make me a better person.
I don't know. I think that maybe when I wake up in the morning (on time, I might add!) I'll get up, read my devotions, not ask for anything, just graciously give thanks for what I have, pour myself a glass of milk, water, or juice and pack some veggies into my lunch before heading off to work. It will be a good way to start the new year. I can't guarantee that it will last, but it wouldn't stand even a chance if I don't try...

No comments: