God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Saturday, April 4, 2009

Femullet

Thursday I went down to Osky to see my cousin, Tricia, who is back visiting from her home in Australia. She has a beautiful 8 month old daughter, so we had fun playing with her and looking through some old photo albums. I learned some stuff looking through those pictures. I couldn't believe how many snapshots there were of the two of us. Tricia in her cute matching outfits and perfectly pony tailed hair, and me in my way-too-short shorts (not helped by the fact that they were also pulled up to my chin) and sporting a mullet. I had to have a talk with my mom later that afternoon. She was the one responsible to tell the beauty shop lady how to cut my hair, and was the one who provided my attire.

Mom swears up and down that mullets were the '80's style. If that is true, why didn't Tricia have one or why didn't my mom have one herself? I don't really remember caring too much about how my hair looked as a child (who does?) but I do remember thinking that Cindy from the Brady Bunch had a nice do. Those two perfectly parted golden ponytails with a nice pipecurl in each one. I remember asking my mom once if she could help me get my hair looking like that. That day is very clear in my mind. We were at K-Mart in search of ever elusive blue light special (back in the day that they had REAL blue strobe lights on carts and announced it over the speaker system!). It was the same day that I got the Barbie that had a button on her back to make her kiss--complete with lipstick. My mom said she didn't know how to do those curls and something about how Cindy had beauty shop people do her hair everyday. Tricia had those cute curls and she didn't go to the beauty shop to get it done.
I did a quick google search to see whether mom was right or not about mullets being the "IN" thing in the '80's, but had little luck. The only thing I really learned was that a chick version of a mullet is called a femullet--This is worse than I originally thought. I must end this now. I have some things to sort through in my head.

2 comments:

Kimmi said...

Don't you mean ON your head, as in the case of a mullet, which sounds like some kind of mushroom. is that what your hair looked like, a mushroom on your head? send a picture. I promise not to make fun of it!!!!

~M. Riedel said...

Absolutely under no circumstances will any of these pictures be sent, posted, or displayed in any way that would allow public viewing. If you'd like to see a femullet for yourself, I suggest doing a google search.
Of course I, in my 3rd grade glamour, sported the femullet much better than most of the pictures posted.
Oh, and as far as your "promise not to make fun of it" goes, you'd have better luck trying to convince me to buy sand in the desert.
~M