God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Life in the Hampton Suite.

Living in a hotel, even if only for a week, has revealed some ups and downs about the realities of life. There are good things and not so good things. Overall I have decided that there is no place like home. The tricky part? I currently have two homes and there are 450 miles between them. Being in the Hampton Suite relieves me from any sense of responsibility from either house...kind of. Here's the list...
PRO: Breakfast. I don't like to make breakfast because it interferes with my attempt to deny that it is morning. I don't like mornings at all. It is wonderful to be able to go down to the lobby and see what tasty breakfast pastries are fresh that day, as well as the hot items, orange juice, and coffee. My favorite? Sausage patty, banana with peanut butter, and OJ. Sum it up with a decaf 2-2-2 and morning isn't so bad. (Decaf 2-2-2= decaf with 2 splendas, 2 creamers, and 2 ice cubes)
CON: Bad cable coverage. We've watched more news broadcasting this week than in the last 5 years combined. I think that I now know everything that is going on in the world, including more than enough of the erupting volcano in Iceland that has put the UK flight schedules on hold. My advice? Take a boat.
PRO: No cleaning!! WoooHooo! The only thing better than not having to dust, vacuum, and clean the bathroom is knowing that all I have to do is push a button and someone will do all of the above for me. After last week's big clean of our current house I don't care to ever hold a can of Pledge again. Once we close on the new one, though, I know another big clean is coming...
CON: Room temperature. The wall thermostat seems to have no connection to the AC unit in our room. It is so stinkin' warm in here, but when the AC fan kicks on...wheew-wee...we start looking for penguins around the room. It gets sooo cold. We currently have Craig's tennis shoes holding a thick bath towel over the vents. It works pretty good.
PRO: Cookies! They give us cookies in the afternoon. Chocolate chocolate chip, regular chocolate chip, and sugar. Sugar is the best.
CON: Sporadic internet. I keep getting booted from my wireless and putting in the pass code constantly is a little annoying. Yesterday our pass code wouldn't even work. The nice lady at the desk told us that our pass code had expired. Um? Hello? Remember us? We've been here for a week and will stay a couple more nights...could they not have let us know before we were booted off yet again? It isn't like they don't see us...we walk past the front desk several times per day as we prepare to stalk our house again.
PRO: The hot tub. After this week I think that I finally have Craig convinced that we need a hot tub. It is so nice to sit back let the jets work their magic on my tired back. The heat also feels great when the air conditioner situation gets out of control.
CON: It's not home. I have all of the essentials that I need but would like to have a few of the extras that I have at home. My pedicure kit, for example, would be very welcomed by my poor feet.
PRO: Separate beds. I sleep soooo good without my tossing, turning, snoring, and talking husband stealing my pillows and blankets. I am totally fine with a good night wave from across the nightstand--for a while anyway!
CON: Poor snacking habits. Staying in a hotel can be very boring so we find ourselves in a boredom hunger quite often. It probably doesn't help that there is a Dairy Queen nearby that is currently running a blizzard special. Buy one (any size) get one for 25 cents.

There you have it. Happy Tuesday, all!

2 comments:

Lonita said...

Congrats on the new house - it looks very nice! Did you end up with the one you told Craig you were buying? The no cleaning part of hotel life does sound very appealing right now...not to mention the proximity of Dairy Queen. Thanks for the heads up on the special.

Jeni said...

FYI: People in the UK are also trying to travel by boat or ferry. They are also traveling via the Euro tunnel. Allof these different forms of transportation all to busy & all booked up. People are stranded & the airlines are losing $1.7 billion last I heard. When it started the ferries would not let people on unless they had either a car, lorry, or bike. There where business men just buying cheap bikes so that they could get home. Now they are overlooking this. They theorize it will take one week for things to normalize.