God is always working to make His children aware of a dream
that remains alive beneath the rubble of every shattered dream,

a new dream that
when realized will release a new song, sung with tears,

till God wipes them away
and we sing with nothing but joy in our hearts

--Larry Crabb


Thursday, March 4, 2010

I remember


~I remember the first time that Craig brought me to Omaha to meet his family. He had told me (among other things) in the car not to be alarmed by his sister's size. She was very short and petite and had just turned 16.
~I remember when we got to their house for the first time. Kimmi wasn't there for long. Her and Shawna were "going out." She was all dolled up with her long blond hair looking so pretty.
~I remember when Craig's mom, Kimmi, her friend Kim, and I all went up to the Mall of America for a weekend. Craig was interning in Minneapolis and Evelyn and I were walking around the mall with one walkie talkie trying to get ahold of the Kims who had the other one. I'll never forget that "KIMMIE--THIS IS YOUR MOM--ANSWER ME AND TELL ME WHERE
YOU ARE!" (walkie talkies don't work at the Mall.)
~I remember when on the way home from that trip we had to wait in the drive through window of McDonalds for the employees to warm up her bag of dialysate fluid.
I remember when we got married. Kim was at the guest book table with Craig's sister in law in her cute purple dress.
~I remember when Kim got her second transplant and could put the years of CAPD (dialysis) behind her. We later went to Colorado and spent a day at Waterworld. So much fun.
~I remember when Kim got Licorice, her little black kitty from Paul for Christmas
~I remember when I went to WalMart with her late one night. That was the first (and thankfully last) time I ever experienced her driving firsthand.
~I remember sitting around the table listening to the latest drama in Kim's life...she got pulled over again for not looking old enough to drive...someone slashed her tires...Craig had tied her to a chair and denied her food when he was supposed to be babysitting her as a child...etc.
~I remember when Kim became the official family potato masher. Never a lump in them taters.
~I remember decorating easter eggs.
~I remember Kim graduating from highschool. We bought her a lavendar stethescope to use in her college courses.
~I remember Kim highlighting Craig's hair. Even our rabbits were scared of him when he got home.
~I remember the sound of her clicking her tongue piercing.
~I remember Christmas 2008. Quiet and simple. It was her favorite holiday. She was making peanut butter balls to take to the dialysis center the next morning, as well as some stinky dog treats. Life was normal.
~I remember thinking that she seemed much more frail, and that she needed to get another transplant soon.
~I remember getting the call from Bob that things hadn't gone well in surgery and knowing that we needed to get to Omaha.
~I remember spending a week at the hospital not knowing whether she was going to make it or not, but sensing an increasing feeling of dread.
~I remember Kimmi coming home with hospice. She was laying in her bed with her big blue eyes wide open.
~I remember when her eyes closed and her body came to rest.
~I remember March 3, 2009...the day Kimmi died.
But more imporantly...
~I remember the way that she lived.
Even though a year has now passed and the shock has given way to sadness and loss, I continue to miss Kim, and will always remember these good times and so many more.

No comments: